Officers of the Corporation
Role of the President
According to Section 31 in DMG’s Bylaws:
If appointed, the president shall be the chief executive officer of the Corporation and shall be responsible for implementing the strategic plans and policies of the Corporation. The president shall, subject to the authority of the board, have general supervision of the affairs of the Corporation.
The President is responsible for the effective governance of the organization and is accountable to the membership for the performance of the Corporation.
The duties of the President are to:
- Chair the meetings of the Board and the Executive Committee, be knowledgeable about the agenda items before the Board and be prepared to take part in the deliberations of the Board
- Arrange for the vice chair of the board or another director to chair in the meeting if required
- Chair the Annual General Meeting and any other general member meetings that may be called
- Provide oversight of the work of the corporation on behalf of the Board, handle any personnel issues that may arise between Members of the Board or as a result of non-performance of duties by a Director or conflict of interest situations handle member complaints arising out of the actions of the staff or volunteers
- The responsibilities of the President may be changed from time to time, and flow from Board policies on governance.
Role of the Vice-Chair
According to Section 52 in DMG’s Bylaws:
The vice-president shall, in the absence or disability of the president, perform the duties and exercise the powers of the president and shall perform such other duties as shall from time to time be imposed upon him/her by the Board.
The Vice Chair works with the Chair in ensuring the effective governance of Organization and is prepared and knowledgeable at all times to serve in the absence of the Chair.
The duties of the Vice President are to:
- Chair the Board Meeting, Annual General Meeting, or other meetings in the absence of the Chair
- Serve as a member of the Executive Committee
The responsibilities of the Vice President may be changed from time to time, and flow from Board policies on governance.
Role of the Secretary
The Secretary works with the President of Organization in the effective administration of Board and membership meetings and is responsible to the membership to ensure that the bylaws are followed and that all necessary documents are maintained and filed as required.
The duties of the Secretary are to:
- Be able to act as a signing authority for the Corporation in financial and legal matters at the Board’s discretion
- Ensure safekeeping of the documents of the corporation including Letters Patent, Supplementary Letters Patent, Bylaws, Minutes of the Board, Contract agreements
- Serve on the Executive Committee of the Board
- Liaise with those individuals/organizations contracted to provide management support of the operational tasks of the Secretary
Role of the Treasurer
According to Section 53 in DMG’s Bylaws:
The treasurer shall have the custody of the funds and securities of the Corporation and shall keep full and accurate accounts of all assets, liabilities, receipts and disbursements of the Corporation in the books belonging to the Corporation…
The duties of the Treasurer are to:
- Act as a signing authority for the Corporation in financial and legal matters
- Serve on the Executive Committee of the Board and as Chair of the Finance Committee
- Present the annual operating budget
Other duties as may, from time to time, be assigned by the Board.