The following server guidelines have been adapted from DMG’s Code of Conduct manual. All server participants – including members and guests of members, event hosts, sponsors, presenters, exhibitors, participants and attendees – are expected to abide by the code of conduct below and the manual hosted on DMG’s site.
By becoming a member of DMG, or participating in any DMG event in any capacity, you agree to abide by this code of conduct, and cooperate with organizers and admins who enforce it.
We insist that everyone who uses the space remains mindful of, and takes responsibility for, their speech and behavior. This includes:
- Prioritizing the expression of people who are systemically marginalized in tech and game spaces, especially those who are gender-marginalized and/or racialized and upholding a safe, judgment-free, confidential space for that expression.
- Actively listening to others and not dominating discussions.
- Respecting boundaries. Please check in before discussing topics that may be triggering.
- Not making assumptions about any individual's identity, experiences or pronouns.
- Not using words that are racist, sexist, homophobic, classist, transphobic, cissexist, ageist or ableist.
- Humbly accepting respectful correction (or correcting yourself!), keeping in mind that the impact of your words on other people is more important than your intent.
We do not tolerate oppressive behavior, harassment, destructive behavior, or exclusionary actions. Examples of these actions include:
- Oppressive behavior: any conduct that demeans, marginalizes, rejects, threatens or harms anyone on the basis of identity, background, or ability. This includes publicly sympathizing with hate groups or endorsing political beliefs that contradict our values; deliberate misgendering, using inappropriate pronouns, or use of deadnames.
- Harassment: deliberate intimidation; stalking; following; harassing photography or recording; disruption of events; aggressive, slanderous, derogatory, or threatening comments online or in person; repeated or sustained private communication after requests to cease; publication of non-harassing private communication (including audio or video recordings and screenshots of direct messages and closed chats on Slack, Google Meet, Discord and DMG-managed online spaces); physical contact and simulated physical contact without consent or after a request to stop.
- Destructive behavior: sustained disruption of discussions online or off, damaging or altering any part of the building, inside or out, including furniture and equipment; damaging, altering or using other people's belongings, including personal computers and digital content or code created by other people (unless you have their consent).
- Exclusionary actions: denying certain participants opportunities to share views, skills and other contributions; engaging in favoritism; and creating or reinforcing an inequitable learning environment.
Our Discord is built to be similar to other DMG spaces--somewhere to chat and hang out and share projects and other ideas with members. Here are a few points to keep in mind when using this Discord:
- Spoiler tagging. Please make use of this feature if sharing potentially triggering content (please refer to rule 3 and respect members’ boundaries) or content that may spoil past, present, or future media for another member. You can use spoiler tags by placing two || around your text ||like this||. Discord also has a great guide on how to use spoiler tags.
- In conjunction with rule 2, please share the voice channels and text channels with other members of the server.
- Each channel will be named and its purpose outlined in its description. If you’re not sure where to share something, don’t hesitate to ask.
Reporting unacceptable behavior
- We want to make sure that this Discord, like all DMG spaces, is safe and accessible to all members. If you see or experience behavior which breaches our Discord guidelines or makes you feel unwelcome, please reach out to a moderator for next steps.
- If you experience repeated harassment which is in severe violation of our organizational CoC, please review our conflict resolution processes and reach out directly to email@example.com. You may also send an anonymous report via this form.